Another update

Monday, December 13, 2010
The post-op doctor's visit went well. DH's cancer was 100% seminoma, which basically means it's slow spreading. From what we've researched, it is also very sensitive to radiation, which is a good thing. We were told that he (the doctor) felt like DH was essentially cured, but just to be safe he felt like DH should go through one round of radiation treatment. In my mind, I thought one round meant one time. Wrong. It's a four week treatment session. He doesn't have to do the treatment because there is no evidence that any cancer was left, but by doing the treatment he ups his cure rate to practically 100%.

The down side is that many people get sick from radiation. Nausea, fatigue, etc. Apparently, it's not too bad, but bad enough to hand over some anti-nausea medication with each treatment session. DH's cat scan is scheduled for next week. From there they'll decide when to begin.

Here's where we don't know what to do just yet. Our adoption classes start January 15th. We're afraid if he is undergoing treatment during January that he may not feel well enough to attend the classes. Once the treatments are over, you pretty much go back to normal. From what we've read, you're up and going in no time. We hate to think that we may need to postpone our classes, especially since he'll be feeling fine once these 4 weeks are over, but at the same time we have to do what's best for him.

DH is going to see if he can wait until February to begin treatments. His doctor actually didn't schedule him again until mid-January, so why not wait another two weeks? Anyway, at this point it's a wait and see. If we have to postpone, then we'll just have the agency add our names to the fall classes. DH doesn't want to postpone (and neither do I for that matter) but ultimately we have to do what's in his best interest. Anyway, if we have to wait, what's another few months?

Photobucket

6 comments

  1. that is wonderful news for your dh. hoping that you are able to take the class on time and schedule his treatment for feb. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kerry, Go ahead and keep your schedule for January, My Mom had radition more times then I can count for her bone cancer and the only thing she had was being tired but she was still able to live her life and do things. It takes no time for the session it is the set up for it that takes alittle time the firs time. My Aunt had it to and the same thing she needed alittle nap after but no nausea of course everyone is different but it is noting like Chemo let me tell you that. I worked in a Cancer centre for 7 years the worst I saw was nausea and tired but it not like Chemo so keep your plans and dont wait till fall and get that 100% and move on with your plans but of course the cat scan will tell too. Good luck sounds like a good outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad everything is looking good. I hope that you can get it all worked out with the scheduling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to hear the positive report back on your DH's cancer! Fingers crossed for you that you guys can push that radiation treatment back to February and can get through your classes as planned!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm happy to hear things are looking good for your husband. You guys have been through enough this year. Bring on 2011! Things have got to get better from here, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. YOu guys are going through so much after losing Josey. I'm so sorry...I take my husband and my health for granted at times. Sending prayers to you... I may adopt one day and I am an adoptee myself.

    ReplyDelete